Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2009-01-17

Winter Break, 1st of 5 posts

I went to Myanmar for winter break. 13 days there and then 2 days in Bangkok, Thailand. There is a military dictatorship in charge of that country. There were thoughts of fear and madness and watching my back. There were warnings from governments and friends. And it was all so unnecessary.

Myanmar, despite being poor and run by a firm military hand, was far and away one of the most amazing places I have been. People so nice that I had to pinch myself to ensure I wasn't dreaming. Food so delish that I couldn't ever get enough, or remember what I had actually eaten in the first place! Sights so exotic that I felt like I was walking through "The Jungle Book." The list goes on.

I tried to present my pictures and some memorabilia and a map of my 2-week trip to the students last week. I almost laughed at how I tried to cram it into 15 minutes. It was a farce, though I did certainly try my best! And now I continue the farce by posting some pictures here. There is no way to reflect the attitude and good-natured friends I made, impossible to relate to you the flavors of the food, and a task bigger than rebuilding America (good luck Mr. Obama) to encourage you to go to Myanmar and to support the people who are dying to meet you.

I arrived into Yangon (Rangoon) in the morning of day 1. I spent that whole day and then half of the next one in that city before heading out. It was busy!

Please enjoy the pictures:

from the airport to the hotel, we drove by Shwedagon Paya [pagoda], one of the "Big 5" holy Buddhist sights in the country
Sule Pagoda... probably built before the automobiles came here. But it is precariously located in the middle of a turn-about!
Shwedagon paya again, from inside the complex. Rather impressive I dare say.

Another shot of the top [under construction] from inside the complex

The temple of the reclining Buddha. Yeah, it was huge!
We met at Sule Pagoda in the morning and he gave me a tour around the major sights of the city. A lot in one day. He wanted to practice his English too... it was a good, long, first day.

Shwedagon at night

And again

Warning: do not take a picture of this building. But I did anyways because I liked the architecture. This is where General Aung San was assassinated in 1948... paving the way for Burmese* Independence. Now it is still a rather prominent government structure and it was heavily fortified and fenced off and there were dudes with huge guns there too.
*The people called their country, "Myanmar." The West calls it "Burma" because they don't recognize the military dictatorship, who refers to it as Myanmar also. I will call it Myanmar... because it is from the people's mouths..

The faces were so friendly. At an unique crossroads between China, India and Thailand... and the many tribes who live all over the country... such a diverse blend of accents (all in Myanmar language, but noticeable nonetheless) and faces... here are some:

I met a monk, at the Shwedagon paya the night before... we decided to meet up the next morning and, lo and behold, I was invited to his English language class! I gave an impromptu self-introduction, with no materials and then spoke with students- they were able to practice their practical use of the language! What a highlight! I made some nice friends who also were available on the last day, when I arrived back into Yangon.

Here are a couple of them. Such good folks. End DAY 1-2.5, which was spent all in Yangon, the capital city.

No comments: