Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2012-07-15

Birding up a storm #2 of 2


It's not like I'm having a Big Year or anything. But I have notched 150 different birds in the last 365 days in the US. Now, I have to write about some species that I saw in Africa. As far as those birds go, I'll post the pictures later but a species list for now includes (with my broad categories- not scientific ones)

Corvids and Passerines:
White-necked Raven (Corvus albicollis); African Pied Crow (Corvus albus); Superb Starling (Lamprotornis superbus); Variable or Yellow-bellied Sunbird (Cinnyris venustus); Ring-necked Dove (Streptopelia capicola); Rufous-tailed Weaver (Histurgops ruficaudus); Red-and-yellow Barbet (Trachyphonus erythrocephalus)

Shorebirds, Waders, Waterfowl:
Greater Flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber) and Lessers (P. minor), West African Crowned Crane (Balearica pavonina pavonina), [probable] Marabou Stork (Leptoptilos crumeniferus), Hammerkop (Scopus umbretta), Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiacus) [in real life, as opposed to the exotic one in San Joaquin Wildlife Reserve in Irvine!]; Black-headed Heron (Ardea melanocephala); African Sacred Ibis (Threskiornis aethiopicus); Yellow-billed Stork (Mycteria ibis); Blacksmith Plover or Lapwing (Vanellus armatus); Great White Pelicans (Pelecanus onocrotalus); Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)
Raptors:
Black Kite (Milvus migrans); "Lemagae" (in Swahili) [probable] Gypaetus barbatus, aka Lammergeyer or Bearded or Lamb Vulture; Augur Buzzard (Buteo augur); African Fish Eagle (Haliaeetus vocifer); what i have researched for an hour and am still unclear about (ahhh, so frustrating!)--- [probable] Tawny Eagle (Aquila rapax)

Land, big, and other Birds:
Yellow-necked Francolin (Francolinus leucoscepus), Common Ostrich (Struthio camelus)-- yes it IS a bird and nearly my family member; Kori Bustard (Ardeotis kori); Silver-cheeked Hornbill (Bycanistes brevis); Von der Decken's Hornbill (Tockus deckeni)

Perhaps there are other unidentified species too including some yellow bird at the Ngorongoro Crater lunch area. Chances are that I misidentified one or more of these, but I saw at least 29 species in Africa... bringing my total to 180 in a year. I'm sure to have seen well over 200 different birds in my life if I think back to Parakeets in Patagonia, Eagles south of Punta Arenas, Mejiros in Kurume. Yea for numbers! And YEA for birds! They are everywhere and both inspirational and amazing... just keep your mouth closed if you are looking up at them :)

No comments: