Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-06-02

Island Time Part 2

I sit in La Paz as El Gran Poder festival rages throughout the city. It’s an all-day long carnival celebration. The costumes, dancing and music are awesome as they sparkle, flow and blare up and down the steep slopes that constitute roads in the Bolivian capital (Sucre officially, but La Paz too!). I am on an overnight bus tonight to head further south, as the time comes nearer when I have to reach Santiago…

After the western Titicaca islands, I crossed the border to Copacabana, Bolivia… you know, it had been an on-going theme to head over there. I had the opportunity to pass a day on the gorgeous, albeit cold, Isla del Sol. Nataniel, my Israeli soccer goal-scorer, was there and I met up with two Washingtonians, Allison and Galen and we enjoyed the sunset and the moonrise… and had, yes, again, fresh lake trout… a bit pricey, but well-worth the hour wait for that fish!

After a cold, but surreal sunrise with Nataniel, I met Greg from Boston and we made plans to spend the full moon on the Isla de la Luna (Island of the Moon). It seemed like it was supposed to happen. A pleasant day exploring the ruins of the Sun Island with Al, Gale and Nate, led to great views and pictures (I’ll post them later!) and recollections of basketball greats like Manute Bol. Later on, Greg and I had no options, so we charted a boat to get us to the Isla de le Luna. We arrived with time to see the ruins there and then we (speaking for both of us, why not) watched in awe as the magnificently full moon rose directly over the middle of the Moon temple. As I heard waves crash against the rocks to the left and their echo bounce off the wall from the right, it made me ponder that perhaps the design of this spiritual plaza (in whose center we sat) was built with unique specifications, for a certain purpose- as the experience evoked a magical feeling… continuing to do so since it was created centuries ago…

We got back to the Isla del Sol, then a return trip on a locals’ boat to Copa. Another fabulous meal (a trend, no?) last night and we got to La Paz this morning. Greg heads towards the north and I head to the south, but it has been a good experience travelling with another explorer for a stint. We travellers are never actually alone… we meet who we are supposed to meet, to talk about the important subjects, to share energy and recharge for more exploration and sharing… this is me losing the thoughts in words.

Recently, I hadn’t felt complete as I moved from place to place- something unlike me… and I discovered that it was partly because I had expectations. As I get rid of my anticipations for the places I see, the people I may meet and the food I could encounter, life flows more naturally and I enjoy every living moment…each one just feels more real.

Would you believe Greg and I had another amazing lunch today? Would you believe that I haven’t eaten meat (fish doesn’t count) in five days and I still have the energy to walk and travel? Would you believe that I actually feel healthier and stronger and alive?

Soon…

No comments: