Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-10-22

two weeks that flew by

So, I am way behind? Why did this happen? Ohh, I was super busy. And I had a bad attitude (for here known as Baditude) about my role here in Japan. Yup, I started having second thoughts about why it is that I am here. I didn’t really think about how I was caught up in my own drama and when I checked to see when I posted my last blog entry I couldn’t believe it. Sorry to let you down as a reader and sorry for myself that I forgot about my intentions. But, the most recent reminders have gotten me back on track.
(Rows and rows of Cosmos)

Last week… nope, TWO weeks ago… I went to flower arrangement class but not to calligraphy. It would have been a long week of Japanese and culture because on Thursday, like I wrote in the last blog, I would be going to Kora-san again, for a celebration of Okunchi- harvest-time praying and recognition for the sun goddess. We got there (Akira and I) and went up to the shrine which was opened up! We were able to go inside and take a seat on the floor as the ceremony was about to start. The priest blessed us and made offerings- I can’t really describe it, but it was awesome.

(So pretty)

I made it through the most important part of the ceremony when I realized that the sensation of sitting cross-legged (not even in traditional Japanese sitting style) was taking its toll on me. I stood up and it was all I could do not to fall over because I had no feeling from my mid-thigh downwards. Fortunately there was a pillar on which to lean and I crept out to the back without tumbling on anyone.

Then all sorts of musical performances ensued. Traditional Harp, two cello-like instruments a mini-piano. The ceremony ended and we enjoyed autumn foods, were served tea and desert (not traditional-style) and watched a comedy sketch, taiko (drumming) and various other performances. A long three hours of cultural bingeing. (Yes, that IS how you spell it.)

(up close...)


The following weekend, I went to a soccer game with my Japanese neighbors. We drove an hour to the stadium, speaking mostly in English, with an occasional Japanese lesson! I was able to understand the seven-year-old daughter, but unable to respond… makes me feel all-grown-up. She understood the English and was able to respond to my questions too… she should be able to- I was her English teacher a couple of weeks ago!

I am not too emotional (ok, maybe I am...) but sports get me riled up. And soccer especially. So when the referee called a penalty kick against my team, I was upset. I didn’t overreact, but I was loud in my seat. It was the second penalty kick, a couple minutes later, which was an absurd call. I stood up and yelled some words (in English) at the referee. He couldn’t see or hear me, but the fans in the stands must have though I was loony. I was, of course, the only one standing up- and I happened to be using a language that the majority of people don’t speak. So, I sat back down and laughed to and at myself for reacting in such a way. I would do the exact same thing again. And I would again laugh at myself for sticking out like a sore thumb. And laugh to myself that no one was doing the same thing. A good experience, though our team lost 0-3. Rough outing.

(Tamaki-san in the cosmos)

Hmm, on the stream of consciousness, what else do I want to post in the public arena? How about teaching at an elementary school out in the countryside… and on the way back, meeting up with a friend to check out the flowers… can you tell that I love those things? The pictures seen above are from Tamaki-san and my excursion in the Kirin beer factory's cosmos (Kosumosu) garden.

(not a bad venue for a music festival, eh?)

Instead of posting a blog, living patiently and calmly, and relaxing, I got caught up in some drama. I wasn’t aware enough to recognize it, so I played in the drama realm for the week. Looking back, it makes for a good laugh. Because, no matter how much I convinced myself that these opportunities/situations/goings-on were matters of life and death, they were unimportant and energy-consuming. Strike one!
(The stage from our tailgate- but we actually schlepped the grill up the hill!)

The weather changed the other day. And by the “other day,” I mean, one day, I woke up in a sweat, sprawled out on my futon in boxers, with a fan blowing on my face. The following day, I thought I was sleeping in a cold-food storage facility. My thermometer- which I though was broken, being always stuck on 28.2 degrees Celsius- read 15.2 degrees…. a drop of thirteen degrees C is a lot, especially for one day. Welcome to a cold autumn. Strike two!

(Japanese pampas grass, so pretty flowing in the wind)

Last weekend, I went to the Kumamoto Country Music Festival. Yes, not only do I like flowers, but country music also has a foothold in my heart. And in the States, you’ll find my radio tuned into Big County 105 more often than not. Wendy and I went, with the friendly Yakitori dude from down the street, at 8am and drove two hours south and east into the mountains to get to the venue. We met up with the rest of his crew and loaded in meat, beer and equipment for a great tailgate party. These guys, a bit older than us, are a Harley Davidson club, so a couple of times a month, they cruise around on their choppers. That’s who we were with… and yes, these folks DO exist in Japan… and yes, they ARE Japanese. Harley riders and country music lovers too. We arrived at 11am and were getting set up when Ochida-san threw us beers and the madness began. We enjoyed a great lineup. I knew I was in for it when they brought out the whiskey at 1pm… We danced and got to see the bands from the front row. Walking around and running into the other white folks who spoke English, we were able to meet some bands’ members, the Lt. Governor of Montana and miss rodeo Montana 2007. Drinking all day and cold evening chill. Strike three.

Three strikes, "I'm out!" I write this as I am out sick, after resting 13 hours last night… delirious yesterday at work, and taking a real sick day. I hope to get better soon, but this is yet another reminder to take care of myself. I have to bring peace to myself before I can bring peace to others.

(Charlie Holmes bluegrass band)

A note on peace. The organizer of the Kumamoto International Country Music Festival (Country Gold) is Charlie Nagatani and I had an opportunity to meet him too. His message: “Promoting International Peace through Country Music.” That’s when I knew I was in the right place. What a great way to bring smiles and happiness and peace to people’s lives. In introducing the famous English-speakers, noted above, to our Japanese friends was one way of doing this. And sharing cultures to breakdown barriers, is clearly one of Charlie's goals. So, yesterday, despite feeling awful, I managed to get to elementary school, the only message in my head was “bring as much peace to the world as you can today.” I made it through my four classes and then found myself delusional as I left school. I made it to the doctor and it was all blurry, but I know my mission was successful. And today, is the centering and bringing peace to self. Two reminders in two days of the importance of peace... it's the reason i am here... breaking down cultural ignorance and bringing smiles to as many faces as possible. Screw the drama, i am aware (again) of what's important, my mission in Japan and my mission in life.

(This guy ruins all of my pictures)


Wow, I rambled far too much today and didn’t write anything important. Sorry about wasting your time. I hope the next one is better. And to all of the friends and family and loved ones in Southern California, please be safe in these times of fires… pack your photo albums and don’t take chances with anything else… they are just material possessions- not as important as your well-being. May you go in peace.

Ki-o-tsukete,

2 comments:

vinbiezel said...

heh, the sheer amount of text and pictures scared me away from reading this post the first time through (yeah, im a hypocrite, i know), but I just finished reading it.. and wow.. sacrificing your own health to spread peace and awareness? thats beautiful man. and the whole flower arrangement thing, its quite cool you're getting into that. all of what you say is true-- some things may frustrate us while were here, but its really not worthwhile to use our energy fuming over something when we could be putting that energy into doing something productive. I need to keep that in mind, heh.

I guess this experience is about baby steps. gotta take the good in with the bad... and lately its been a lot of good- especially today. I got to run part of a class on my own while my teacher had to go somewhere.. and the students actually payed attention, and i actually was genki and made them laugh a few times. so yeah.. baby steps i guess.

anyways, sounds like you're having a blast (minus the sickness thing). I could sit here and be envious of all the cool things you're doing, but thatd just be another bad use of energy, huh? haha. yeahhhh. kiotsukete.

Robyn said...

i havent updated my blog in weeks, either. oh well.

you can always skype me and tell me all of your drama ... thats what friends are for. plus, i owe you, now that you listened to all of mine last week :)

get better soon, loser! i heart you!