Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2008-05-20

Seeing the same

I just looked at the cover of Phish's "Pitcher of Nectar" for the millionth time it seems. Before I used to see an orange, or some fruit resembling a peach perhaps. And, only now, did I notice a face starting back at me. It was a moment of laughter to say the least. He had been seing me the entire time while I was staring at him... and he didnt even say hello. Just goes to show that I can look at the same picture and see only what I think I see. If I give it a bit of time, space and a fresh perspective, even the same album cover transmorgifies into... well, into what is actually there! NOT just what I think I have been seeing!

If an album cover is ever-changing, imagine if people followed suit... you know, ever-changing and presenting a different face upon every meeting. Guess that means I can't rely on my old pigeon-holed ideas of where people "fit," what "kind" of person he or she actually is, and what I think I think. Better just to take it straight up at the moment in time when the meeting occurs.

Reminds me of a phrase I learned here... "Ichi go, ichi e." Not to be confused with "Ichigo Ichie." If only I knew the kanji....

2 comments:

愛子 said...

一期一会
(^0^)最近、元気??

vinbiezel said...

strichy! I may quite possibly be in fukuoka at the end next month. How'd you like to meet up in Fukuoka City for a day or two? We can get some burgers and suntory zen, heh.