Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2008-05-12

Shikoku 四国!!

Yeah, I took a week off.

I tried to get some time in Okinawa six weeks ago and it was't exactly the break I had hoped for. Lesson #1: NO expectations!

When a buddy that I didn't know very well suggested that we hitchhike together I was unsure about what might happen. (apply Lesson #1 here). Go for it and "make" time to really feel away, not just to get away. Lesson #2: Time is necessary!

Along the same lines... five days of rushed vacation is good, but too many logistical details are detrimental. Have some guidelines and ideas and let the logistics fit themselves in. Lesson #3: Create Space!

Not knowing anything is helpful. Without egos folks can interact with much more intensity and realness. Lesson #4: Being wrong is OK.

These are the lessons learned. The past week with Vinnie was one of the best experiences I have had in my life. I can't really analyze it or break it down, but it was fulfilling to every degree of life, not just "vacation." If only we'd have had more time... but even that would have ruined it. I will get some pictures up as soon as he sends them to me.

This blog was going to be a long ramble of stories... but if "y'all know the rules, then stay cool...."

1 comment:

Drew McCrary said...

Dave I can't believe that it's been a year already! I've been in Ukraine for over 2 months now, and it trips me out how fast the time goes. I'm going to know where my permanent site is in under 2 weeks, and I am silently praying I'll be in Crimea and have lots of amazing mountains to hike and sea's to explore.

Great pictures, and great insight about traveling. One of my favorite quotes to spearhead what you were talking about is:


A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.
Author: John Steinbeck

Miss you bro.