Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-05-21

after the Colca Canyon

(English first, Español/Catellano despues)

I know, I said I would never do a tour again, but this one seemed like it would be good... and don't get me wrong... it was fantastic, action-packed (too much) and access to a unique area (later found out I could have done it my way, but such is life.) My busmates had all come from Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Inca trail, so i guess I am going at it backwards, geographically. But, fortunately, I have a lot of information about the places so maybe that can help me as I go along. And I was able to binge on English for 32 hours.

We traveled to the Colca Canyon, east of Arequipa, for two days (one night) and saw some Peruvian culture from the Altiplano. Despite my raging altitude/hypothermia/dehydration problems, I watched a lovely dance and music show and continued samping flavorful foods... today's alpaca steak was delish! When my health-related issues were cured I enjoyed the town of Chivay (elev. 3650 meters), its termas (hot baths) and other local municipalities (Yanque, and others.) We drove to Cruz de Condor... a vista point to see the family of twenty of so condors, mostly juvenile, floating around, propelled upwards by forceful winds... afterall, they claim that the Colca Canyon is the deepest in the world... something like 4000 meters. I dont know about that, but it was certainly impressive... and the drive out there was full of impressive agricultural techniques (not like I understand this type of work) ... awesome, staggered terraces on cliff edges... criss-crossing shades of green on desert brown mountainsides. Such peace.

And we also drove to the highest point I've ever been. As a Swiss friend Phillip said, "It's just a shame we had to drive up here... that seems wrong." True enough, but 4910 meters was pretty nuts. Lots of wind, cold wind, and an energy that was amazing. I made it a little bit higher because there was a small hill next to the mirador. I calculate something like 14,730 feet, perhaps a bit more. A certain rush to say the least and calm walking, as my body was still acclimatizing. We arrived back in Arequipa an hour ago and in an hour, I have an overnight bus to Cusco. Though I dread the tourists and the associated madness, especially as the high season approaches, I am looking forward to sharing with them the amazing energy that flows from those Incan ruins. I have heard that the Inca trail was great, the porters are strong and the food is exceptional- but I wonder if there is more... Further, I didn't make a reservation (all trips are full through August) and would rather enjoy the ruins without hiking.

In my last post I firmly stated that plans are silly because no one can control the future. But the bus ticket is in hand and I am ready to use it! I am also prepared to use the Quechua language (more native than Spanish, here)... "Allillanchu Kachanky?" (How are you?)

This is more uplifting than the last one. And real too. I guess my experience has both ups and downs... I appreciate them both! I would love to post fotos, but I suppose it will be impossible because I dont have a cable, I can't find internet stores with card readers and, well, I 'll need something to post while I am in California... to keep you reading/looking.

Soon


Yo se, dije que no haría un tur un otra vez, pero lo me pareció sería bueno... y me entiendes... fue fantastico, lleno de accion (demasiado) y acesso a un lugar unico (despues discrubí que yo podía hacerlo en mi estilo, pero cést la vie- (fraces, yo se!). Mis compañeros venia de Cusco, Machu Pichu y el sendero Inca, asi que supongo que estoy viajando backwards (?), geograficamente. Pero, fortunatamente, tengo mucha informacion sobre los lugares, así tal vez se puede ayudarme como voy. Y hababa ingles durante los 32 horas.

Fuimos al Cañon de Colca, al este de Arequipa, para pasar dos dias y una noche y vimos la cultura de los Peruanos que vive en el Altiplano. Despite (?) mi enfermidad del altitud/hipotermia/dehidracion, miré danzas y musica y continuaba comiendo comidas saboradas... el bistek de alpaca fue deliciouso! Disfruté el pueblo de Chivay (elev. 3650 me.), las termas y otros municipalidades (como Yanque--- no yanqui!). Fuimos al Cruz de Condor... un vista para ver la familia de mas que 20 condores, mostly(?) infantiles, volando por los vientos del bajo... porque, se dice que el cañon es lo mas profundo en el mundo... casi 4000 meters. No lo creo, pero era impresionante... y me encantaba el estilo agricultiro que lo vi durante el viaje... (lee en ingles porla descripcion!)

Tambien, manejamos al punto mas alto que me he ido. Como un amigo suizo Philip dijó, "Que lastima que tuvimos que conducir por aquí... me parece raro." La verdad, pero 4910 meteres era loco. Habia mucho viento, viento frio, y una energia que era amazing(?). Fui un poquito mas alto porque habia un cerrito al lado del mirador. Calculo 14.730 pies, tal vez mas. Un "rush" a decir lo minimo, caminé lentamente, porque mi cuerpo estaba aclimatando. Llegamos en Arequipa hace una hora y en una hora mas, ando en bus (durane la noche) a Cusco. No estoy feliz para navegar la situacion con ellos ni el loquito asociado (?) que viene, especialmente porque la temporada alta esta veniendo. Pero tengo ganas de compartir laenergia amazing que exista en las ruinas. He escuchado que el sendero Inca fue bueno, los porteros son fuertes y la comida es excepcional- pero me parece que hay mas para concer... Tambien, no lo hice una reservacion (todos grupos están llenos entre ahora y augosto) y me gustaira disfrutar las ruins sin hacer un expedicion.

Hay un poquito mas que no he traducido (o intentado traducir) porque no tenog tiempo... disfrútela en ingles entonces!

Pronto

No comments: