Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-05-01

The Nomad

Nomad (a work in progress)

The only permanent thing about me is my label.

I am a homeless man from a homeless tradition, but I am the glue that binds communities of people; I encourage ideas, pictures and thoughts from some so that I can bring it to others.

I have nothing to give but my stories and nothing to take but a place to rest for the night; if you have a morsel of warm water then I can exchange a chunk of camaraderie.

I bring tales from another place that I hope you are willing to receive; the chronicle I share is timeless and the moments of rest you allow me is worth what I am recounting.

I am the elasticity that acts as a buffer between different groups- by absorbing energy, helping it move. In this sense, I am a transformer, a vagabond who freely travels between the peoples of the world encouraging peace.

My job seems obsolete, but I earn my living in the smiles and gifts of nourishment I receive from gracious hosts. Though I wasn’t trained for this occupation, I happen to be good at what I am and do.

I have nothing but my ability to move. Everything I have is invaluable, because I have no items of value to show for it. I have the nicest things, because I don’t have anything.

I am blessed and doomed at the same time. I am always around people, but I am destined to be alone. Though I am free to move and wander, I am subjugated to loneliness and despair because I wander so.

Whether telling stories, trading ideas or asking for a place to sleep, I am a reminder that humans have sentient connection that runs deeper than worldly concerns. My words may be the others’ dramas, but my being is our awareness.

No comments: