Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-05-29

Real Justice

You want me to grab your attention and hold it? OK, read this…

I have been pulled over by local police in California for having a florescent light on my license plate; stopped by the Highway patrol in Wyoming for flirting with the speed limit; there was that time in Mexico I’d rather not discuss. On the flip side, I hitchhiked with a Chilean cop last summer and he was rather nice about it. Suffice to say, I have experienced the law in numerous situations and countries… My experience with the Peruvian police is one completely different. This one was for real.

On the fly to get to Bolivia from Machu Picchu I stopped the night in Puno, on the Lago Titicaca… I bought my ticket to Bolivia for the next morning and just wanted to do a couple of tasks before crossing the border. I was brought to a hostel from the terminal and dropped my stuff. Wandering around, I thought I found my way to the Tourist information, but instead to the tourism police. There I met Dante, the big-boss-man and he was excited to speak English, so he served as a tour guide for my short time in Puno. He told me about the local tours, but I had already written them off. Back to the hostel after another wonderful meal and to sleep… woke up at 6am and hit the road… towards the border!

We went through the rigmarole of border crossings and I boarded the bus with my newly acquired Bolivianos. As I reached for my stash of cash, I discovered the traveler’s worst nightmare… invisible money! The bus continued to the Bolivian destination and I was livid… boiling over with emotions of anger, denial, confusion, you name it. I decided that I would keep traveling and not let it hurt me… but then I realized that $150 is quite a bit of money and I had to get back to Puno to retrieve what was stolen from me! Bought the first ticket back and re-crossed the border (somewhat illegal, because one has to be in Bolivia for a minimum of 24 before leaving- they were cool with it!)

I can bore you with details, but they are more fun to discuss in person… so here is the short… realized the hostel had robbed me, went back to the police, and filed a report (in Spanish); my friend happened to come by on his day off… and after 4 hours (in Spanish) and negotiations (in Spanish) with the hostel owner I received what was rightfully mine. It was all “smoking gun” stuff for all of my lawyer friends, but the right outcome occurred. The only proof was my word against theirs. But the police knew… this kind of law doesn’t work in the States… our lawyer friends get bogged up in words and bullshit instead of doing the right thing… Long story short- I was "travel-cocky," got robbed and had amazing luck… and I have the Peruvian police to thank, not for wasting time, but for knowing and doing what was right… civilized countries perfect their laws to discuss and look at, but here I witnessed real justice.

The interrogations continued tonight as to who is responsible. I offered to stay as long as necessary, but Dante knows who is at fault… and he told me to enjoy the rest of my trip. I gave him my email address, so that he can practice more English with me. I hope he writes. That would be just.

Make sure to see all of the photos at the bottom, maybe you've mised some!

No comments: