Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-09-07

In the classroom, soccer and first frustrations

I started on Monday. The speeches went well in Japanese… funny because I don’t even speak it yet. But the speeches went over well, maybe ‘simply’ is a better way to put it. On Tuesday, I was tossed into an elementary school to teach/ introduce myself in English. I was asked all sorts of questions from my shoe size to my favorite Japanese food. Then I had lunch with my “homeroom” of 5th graders and they tried to break down the recess plans in Japanese… eventually we figured it out. So I played dodgeball, in my wool pants and white shirt and tie outside in the sun. Not a bad costume for 95 degree heat and 100% humidity. I am getting used to it… and I even made some amazing dodges…

The past couple of days, I have been with my “home” school, Myojo Jr. High. It is awesome! An older building, but with lots of character… and you know me, I love that. I have taught a bunch of the first year students so far and will work with the second and third years next week. Lots of self-intros coming up and even more questions. So far I’ve only been asked twice if I am married. I show the family picture and students are astounded that Jake is only seventeen years old…
And the best part is that I introduce UCLA as there place I studied- and I have been teaching the 8-clap to all of the students! More Bruin fans, exactly what the world needs!

I am a cultural ambassador, a live-tape recorder and a reminder to speak English. I get greeted everyday by numerous students with, “Hello,” and then a bashful run-away. I get inquiries about (school) life in America (they don’t call it the United States; here it is “America”). My favorite was when I told how them how many days of summer vacation we have… they told me 40 and then I told them 80. It was the loudest “Suugoi”- wow/awesome- in unison that I had ever heard. And now I recognize the word. I also represent the US to my co-workers: in the board of education office, at my various schools and at the bars. I have to be a good example in all of these places; this leaves me no time to be anything less than fired up always- working and partying hard. (Complicated sentence, huh?) I even got "do you believed in a balanced diet?" when my desk mate saw my lunch of friend chicken and rice. On all the time, even in the down time.

Yesterday and today, I played soccer with the school team. I asked if I could practice with the students. The teachers appreciate my involvement and the students get to practice their English too. And I pick up some Japanese schoolyard language that will certainly be helpful. It gets me in shape and I love it that I have touched a soccer ball three times this week. I am playing in a Sunday night “league.” A bunch of us run around in a short-sided game. And, I also bought my bullet train tickets (long adventurous trip into the Japanese language) to Kobe (like the Bryant)… so that I can play in a JET soccer tourney. I will be playing for the Fukuoka prefecture team. Being back into the junior high, I might as well be playing soccer on multiple teams and play everyday of the week; it is a flash to how the past of what used to be!

I had a moment of frustration when I suggested a new exercise to the soccer coach, I think he shrugged me off, laughed and commented to another coworker. It's hard to be patient always because i am not understood. It is hard to be the one that everyone knows "doesn't get it." It's hard not fitting in and feeling it. Its hard not speaking the language. but this is a stepping stone. It is not easy, nothing is... it takes time and patience... and effort and caring and effort and... yeah... If my life is easy, then I get pissed off. If life is hard then I get really pissed off... but then I work on it and, get better and enjoy life even more... like it's been said, "You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk," or maybe it was "You gotta walk before you can crawl." Either way, it's all about waking up in the morning, giving it my all and learning and teaching.

Living everyday to the fullest. Giving the body a run for its money, but not abusing it. Working the mind and studying without cramming too much and losing information. Bringing peace to the world and finding it for myself too, patiently and one step at a time.

Kiotsu Kette Kudasai (take care),

3 comments:

vinbiezel said...

im feelin ya man. its hard to be the one that nobody understands, and nobody gives a chance... but at the same time, patience is necessary and im sure thing'll figure themselves out. uh, and if what i just said doesnt make any sense, i blame it on the enkai i just came back from. later!

Traveling Wayne said...

your last passage at the end is the epitome of everything...being in the moment, taking the frustrations as passing winds and looking into the next sunshine. Like the seasons, your mind changes with every new sunrise, and so keep the head up and the spirits even higher

Drew McCrary said...

You remember that time when you said something and the person / people said "SEGOIIIIII?" Oh wait... that's EVERYTIME!!!

I found that I learned more about America traveling, than I did growing up here. It's amazing the inaccuracies that you are faced with every day. You'll find yourself defending America more than you ever thought you would!