Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-09-18

Pleasure and Pain

Last said, I was on my way to a work dinner/welcome party in one of the nicest hotels in Kurume... wonderful.. Sukiyaki.... cooked up in front of us, dipped the food (meats, veggies, noodles) into my bowl that was filled with a raw egg... talk about adding flavor and a couple of grey hairs (salmonella, ever heard of food poisoning?)... but fantastic... as the mantra goes: try everything. I was a cultural ambassador as my supervisor learned how to perfect the art of the Sake Bomb... a small cup of sake dumped (creatively) into a glass of beer... and chugged. Needless to say it wasn't a sober occasion. I went for a drink after the dinner too, but couldn't hang... went home and slept for 4 hours then got up, on my bike and charged full speed ahead, in the dark to the train station....

I left Kurume as the sun was coming up... 30 min to Hakata... then transfer to the Shinkansen (da Shink!) or bullet train... and no kiddin that thing moves quick. so convenient, so efficient... and i counted that each train can transport 1600 people at full capacity... and from Fukuoka to Kobe in just over 2 hours... unreal, i don't know the distances, but it is just a large number. An awesome ride, let me tell you. to Kobe, some subway madness to a bus terminal, all the while playing cell phone texting games with the group I'm trying to meet. they come running as the bus takes off and we are off to Awaji island.

Who? Why, the Fukuoka JETs football (yes, soccer) team. FGU! We had never played together... or maybe a couple of them had previously, but we were just a bunch of soccer studs who got thrown out on the field together. Lots of transportation (they left the night before on a water ferry) and we arrived at 10:30 for our first game at 11. I cant go into too many details or this will really drag... but here are the highlights:

10 teams, we finished 2nd! Lost 1-0 in the final on a goal that could have been prevented if the referee had actually blown his whistle on time to end the half... but, alas, the goal was counted and then he ended the first.

(the crew who lasted the entire tourney. yeah FGU!)

1-0, 1-0, 4-0, 3-1 on the first day.... I swear i assisted or played a role in 5 of those goals... but it is a team game, so it really doesn't matter. The last game i think i suffered a bit of a concussion... elbowed in the back of the head... and then was slurring words later, pupils dilated... i was suffering the signs and symptoms of a concussion. But as the game finished, I pulled a move that involved me playing behind my back and causing a breakaway... that i missed and my teammate finished... not bad for a messed up head.

Second day: I said I couldn't play... didn't want to risk getting a serious injury. Then everyone came to breakfast: broken toe, 2nd degree sprained ankle, bloodied shins and knees, concrete pillars as legs... you name it, someone had it.... so, we just pulled together and got er dun! I vowed not to head the ball unless it would be a game-winning goal. So, game two, we were tied 1-1 and the ball came in the air across the box and the clock was winding down. I headed that thing so hard into the back of the net that I was ready for any fate that might befall me... and lo and behold, i am ok as i write this (or at least the guy in my head tells me its ok for now). Two goals that game and some more assists as the day went on. Our defense was amazing- anchored by Paul and Eric... the three Japanese guys whose names I have written down on a piece of paper in the bottom of one of my stacks in the office, the Randal, our captain Matt Ho, Sam, Dan, Josh, Verge, Lee, and all of the other randoms who joined us from time to time to sub us out for a moment (we were only 12 by day 2)... lest we forget our outstanding keeper Ian. Our fabulous cheering squad of Taz and Lauren- thank you ladies! Oy, there is one more... i will remember who it was after i post this... and then i will update it!

injury-ridden, huge scars on both legs, head damage, muscle fatigue.... worth every second... amazing amounts of soccer and great play by everyone... what an honor to be a part of this squad.

doesn't end there.... straight to Kobe... met up with Colin (YES, finally!) who is a friend of Blake's from back home... rock on OC! His blog can be seen as a link on mine. He was much taller than I thought, but an awesome dude... and he introduced me to Kendall and Lauren who also took pity on my limping, gimpy stature... we went to dinner and then to a small concert: featuring the Boo-boos (see Colin's site) among others. Jamming out in Kobe, needless to say... we made it back to Kendal's and had a sleepover... 4 of us on a floor without enough space for at least 6... more next time! They are awesome and I hope to see them again too... if only Lauren wasn't going home in three weeks, ahh! take it easy girl. Kendal, better apply to JET! And Colin, well you are here for awhile... I'm finding you again soon! second awesome crew in two days. wow.

i was going to go to Kyoto early on Monday morning... HA, i couldn't even walk. So, I limped towards Kyoto with Colin much later... and then got there... met Robyn and her friends for a vegetarian lunch at a famous temple (can you tell i am tired writing this?) and then back to the train, to the station, shinkansen, train, to my home station... then the 25 minute bike ride home on muscles that were concrete! just exhausted...

wake up: first day of school at a new school. another Japanese introduction for teachers; speech in front of the student body (315 kids in uniform), an extra class scheduled first thing; lots of errands to run after school- another shink ticket to buy (yes there are cheaper ways to travel, but my schedule is insane--- i am listening to a crazy fast progressive trance mix right now... ahh, rambling on!) ramen at a small restaurant on the fly, dry cleaners, the usual fruit stand stop and saying hi to the neighbors! Time to write, minimal. Time to play harmonica, non-existent. Time to sleep? not really. Loving life? Can't doubt it for a second.

Every moment is so important. If i check an email instead of wash a dish, then perhaps I have wasted an entire lifetime. Whether I peruse a magazine instead of studying Japanese, the moment is gone forever once it has passed. There is no time to waste doing stupid shit (really trying to stop cursing): creating drama, no time; worrying about logistics of people meeting people, can't afford to use energy with it; not giving every ounce of energy into every thought and action... impossible. I don't know how this ramble makes sense, but maybe the following paradox might help:

Every second is so important that not using it wisely is death. Furthermore, that second has to be of completely undistracted by future and past seconds that have or may occur. But being attached to that second has got to be the silliest use of it.

If you have read this all, then hopefully you don't feel as if your seconds have been wasted.

Gotta rest now. If I am able to wake up tomorrow then I must make use every second that I am gifted.

No comments: