Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-09-20

Untitled

I have nothing to report right now that is super exciting... wait, that is a bad way to start... Let me start over:

So, I haven't stopped in 3 weeks. Like Drew's away message said, "I am like an electron particle, always moving!" Dude, from work parties to soccer tourneys to a week of work it has continued. I even picked up a couple more classes during the week, so I have been preparing materials, teaching and riding my bike to and from work. Filling in the time with shodo (Japanese calligraphy) and just the mundane things that keep us all living in apartments and houses and such- you know, the groceries, the Home Depot (called Gooday, here), the things like that. But I did ride my bike cross-town (with a busted open knee, still!) to get another round of discount tickets on Shinkansen.

I leave work early today to take the train to Kobe, again, to observe Yom Kippur. It will be a quick 30-hour fast/trip so i can get back here for one of my junior high's annual Sports Day Festival. All-day Sunday and then an after-party with the teachers... won't stop moving, can't until I get back from that party Sunday night... fortunately, Monday is a holiday. I have it on my agenda, "SLEEP." And that is taking priority. Period. Getting my body back in working condition:

Seemingly up all night, Rob Lowe is asked by Nick Naylor in Thank You for Smoking, "When do you sleep, Rob?" His response "Sundays." I get that.

Also, a thought by our friend Sylvia Plath (if you don't know her, then you should do some research), "We stayed at home to write, to consolidate our outstretched selves." I have not been studying Japanese as much as I'd like. Nor have I been writing creatively (less this blog) as much as I had anticipated. So, that will be 2nd and 3rd orders of the day on Monday... if i decide to actually wake up that is!

The whole point from earlier (I have ADD, I know it, I love it and I embrace it) is that I was super busy, running and "un-stopping" and I had finally taken care of my trains for this weekend and my stomach told me it was time for dinner. And I was wandering near the downtown, and there it was. A small Ramen shop... and I was the only one in there and it was fantastic. MORAL: No matter how busy one may think one is, the most important way to stay organized and moving is to take the time to eat a great meal... expensive or cheap, big or small.... Just a great eating experience... and to observe the food before eating it. and to take every morsel inward peacefully... it leads to bodily refreshment as well as mental clarity and outward patience and calm. Or maybe it's just me...

Anyone fasting or observing Yom Kipuur, take it easy and enjoy a day of reflection. Anyone else, please take it easy and enjoy a day of reflection.

See you next week

3 comments:

Drew McCrary said...

I find that I get more done when I'm busy... wait for it... DUH.

But I find that I enjoy being obsessively busy, it gives me the perspective I need when 5 minutes of free time to read seems like a lifetime, or being able to check my email seems like a whole day off.

On the flip side, when I have nothing but free time, the one item on my agenda that needs to be completed seems like writing a 25 page paper.

Guess it's all about perspective.

Armando Rubilar said...

Hola david


Espero que estes bien, soy armando, vi tu blog y me parecio muy bonito, con sus fotos y sus paisajes

Espero seguir escribiendote mas adelante y ver tu blog seguido, cuidate mucho

Chao huevon!!

Armando

Traveling Wayne said...

the fact that every moment is being spent in movement and progression is brilliant Dave. Take it all in and make sure to save some health to do it again