Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2008-01-22

more fun stuff

The day after getting back from Hokkaido, there was a huge festival in the city/community to the south. In fact, Daizenji (not to be confused with Zendoji- I always do this) is one of the three biggest in all of Japan. Yeah for superlatives. The festival is celebrated mid-winter to get a heads-up on the upcoming growing season. Gary, Wendy and I got there right before the main event, dudes carrying huge torches around the shrine's grounds. Men, nearly naked, playing with fire- sounds like my cup of tea...
(What you don't see are the brave/insane guys who climbed/straddled the torches until they got within feet of the flame, in an effort to cut/release ropes that bound the end.)

I haven't gotten the pictures yet... but last weekend was a hike through the snow to Raizan and Iharayama. We (four in total) were granted great weather for a day and had a lovely four hour hike, bushwhacking at the beginning. Bagged two more peaks, bringing the total up to.... uh... I don't remember. But I have seen a bunch of mountain peaks in this part of Kyushu. Soon, I will have to spend more time in transit to get to further peaks. Yeah...

Soon...

No comments: