Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2011-09-28

Sunny again... L'shana Tova

Happy New Year folks.

I write this a couple of hours before going to services. I didn't do the morning writing today, as I was hoping to get to the gym at a reasonable and early hour. The past two days I thought it was would be nice to refocus and calm down by shooting baskets at the gym. That is a favorite pastime. But it was packed. Simply a zoo. I can't go to the gym after noon because there are way too many folks there. I will be doing my activity in the morning and maybe having to adjust sleeping patterns in order to accommodate morning writing (and reading!)

I have been writing a lot about myself recently- both jovial times and tribulations (although the suffering is usually self-imposed as opposed to persecution.) This will continue, but I hope to also add some more creative bits too.

I just read that humans may be psychologically predisposed to living in open spaces and near water sources. This allows our basic needs to be met. We can have access to drinking supply and probably food. We can also affirm our security in that no predators may sneak up on us. The view from my patio/perch where I read this information is a nice red-brick area. There is a matching brown/red fence that surrounds the yard and generally protects me from vision of passers-by. I hear them laugh or drive or walk and then see them through slivers in slats along the fence, but they are undisturbed not knowing that I am there reading and briefly glancing at them. Of course my landlord can peer down and see me, but I never look up to check!

I sit in a plastic patio chair (you know the kind) as my laundry and kitchen towels dry behind me. It is late in the summer, indeed the beginning of autumn, so there is long light and it hangs at 50-degrees and stays pretty far to the south. I know that the angles will get even lower and the southern range of its pattern will only deepen. Meanwhile, my laundry dries and I absorb as much Vitamin D as is possible, while still staying warm under a fleece blanket. A cup (actually a pot) of fresh green tea with roasted rice (thank you Naoko-sensei) keeps my mind alert as I start to doze off in the late afternoon rays. I have a lot of reading to do so I can't sleep right now. My chair is not so comfortable, and according to my Yoga instructor (god-bless her!) most American chairs are not designed for our health. I am hyper vigilant to my back and making sure it is getting stronger. I sit up straight and become aware as I slouch into it or lean forward too much. In the end, I am happy sitting on this chair, basking in the September sun, reading about conversation psychology- despite it's currently dense disposition.

I am paying to be a student. I pay and professionals give me things to read. It's kind of silly, you know that I can't just pick up these works and read them on my own. But the discussions, the constant barrage of work, and the schedule is indeed important. I pay for this freedom of time and do my reading and convert all of these factors into yet another piece of paper. It's a funny thing to consider. In the end, however, it is the opportunity to read, to enjoy reading and to share my thoughts about the reading with others (or sit in the class and affirm/ change my beliefs as others discuss the topics because I am not quick enough to speak up).

The chicken I bought (6 pounds of local organic bird) is sitting in brine. I hope to bake it tomorrow with onions and carrots and potatoes... Enough writing for now. It's time to get ready for services, taking the bus and another chapter of good reading.


(Funny, reading this now, after I posted it... This is randombling at its finest. I never DID get to the point of my post. And I didn't connect like thoughts either. I missed some transition sentences and glue to make my ideas make sense. That is a GOOD realization- I have to slow down!)

No comments: