Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-11-21

watching or dreaming? Asleep and awake

A little bit of both. On my walk this morning, before the sun came up, of course, when it was freezing cold outside, maybe not freezing, but cold enough that frost delicately coated the windshields of cars whose owners had yet to wake up and drive them to work, I was "being" and "walking." I was observing myself walk along the path, on which cars have enough room to maneuver around each other and me without dipping off the side into the irrigation ditches, in the middle of a space occupied by the summer rice paddies, which have now given way to brown patches of land and the occasional small patch of winter vegetable like lettuce. And the sensation came to "me" that I wasn't in control of the body that was doing this walking. "I" was busy absorbing the world as it was at that early morning hour. "Ohayo Gozaimasu," said the man who had approached me walking the other way. I don't know if he said it on this particular morning or if it was another day, or if he said nothing and I imagined it as my eyes caught him in the front peripheral vision of my awareness, but i responded in kind with the Japanese version of "Good Morning." Back into the world of drama and fun, I started thinking immediately. Having forgotten that I was awake, I went back to sleep on my feet as I was sauntering along, before sunrise, and dreamed about things to do and life to plan. And then I woke back up and shared a laugh with the self that I current embody and allowed myself to stay awake until I got back home and felt the urge to feed the body that had transported me on this seemingly magical, out of body experience. Then, I fell back asleep and lived the day that I have lived before, resting and having fun until the moment when i could wake up again and start to live.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

our conversation last night must have really affected you my friend :)