Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-07-25

Anxiety

It has been a week again! Damn. I have been meaning to write for four days, but I haven’t had enough hours in the day. This is not just an excuse; I have been averaging four hours a night. It’s crazy because sometimes I find myself living in a dream, often a nightmare, but a surreal world regardless… most of the time it’s just fun because I am so tired. This is healthy, trust me. Life is too short to waste, and to precious to count, so I have gone into sleep deprivation mode… this changes on Saturday though.

(picture above of the tiny Irvine/SWR AZA reunion last weekend, from L to R: Brad, Tamir, Warren, Rock, Jeff, Wayne. Dean showed up and so did Harrie Cohen)


After knowing since April 1st that I would be going to Japan for the upcoming school year, I have been traveling and putsing around to close of life on this continent for a while. Here you go: I was hired as an assistant language teacher (of English) to work for the prefecture of Fukuoka. I will be living/teaching in Kurume City which is a suburb of Fukuoka City. If you look on a map, you can find me on the northern part of the southern island of Japan. Yes, I am far from Tokyo and other major tourist attractions… but with my own apartment, I can finally be a host… After having slept on your couches for years, I am ready to repay any and all (and their friends) who come to my three room apartment in Kurume. I don’t know how big this will be, but you have a bed and whatever translation help I can muster together by the time you arrive!

I am anxious because I am about to touch down in a completely foreign situation. What else is new you might ask? The language is the number one. I have been trying to get through some of it, but five lessons were only enough to get me to remember how to say hello. Better than nothing. Fortunately, I have had a wonderful teacher who has been very patient with my poor study habits and general busy-ness. Anxious because I have to pack for a year, because I have to buy clothes (which I haven’t done in 4 years- honestly), because I will be leaving my attachments in the trash or in the hands of thrift stores (less my photo albums which are still preserved in Irvine) and taking only the things that can help me for a year in Japan… yes, Anxious because I will be there for a year. Anxious because my family (including the famous black Labrador, Charlie!) will be here and I will be far away. Anxious because so many friends will be 16 hours away on the phone.

I am still in Irvine for a day or two- today Jake and I are going to the Angel’s game and then I will pack more. Tomorrow consists of packing. And then up to LA… so if you are around, then come out and have some fun…

Special shots go out to my mother because she is an amazing woman. I haven’t been able to really spend much time with her this time around (especially in comparison to other stints at home) because she has just started a business. I swear I was gone for only three months and this thing is about to take off. Only a strong, charming, well-put-together person could make this happen… and she did!

Check it out here: http://www.takecareanywhere.com/

See you soon!

No comments: