Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-07-17

Wildfire and the gorgeous Sierra Nevada Moutnains

We got up early two Saturdays ago and drove up 395 towards Bishop. We were stopped at Lone Pine, as there was a 24,000 acres forest fire between us and the trailhead. So, we ordered a pizza and headed to Whitney Portal (elevation 8367 feet) to sleep the night. This was my third time there in three years, but there were no thoughts of ascent this time… just memories of summiting with Dad last year. 22 miles in one day to reach the highest peak in the continental US… but then I cut open my toes, so that all was forgotten.










Who is “us, we, the group?” Hailing from Plano Texas, Ben “the Artist formerly known as Prince” Schechter, Loren “the Energizer Bunny” Matilsky out of the Finger Lakes in New York state, Gideon “Old Naked Guy” Strich out of retirement and me: “Puss in Boots” (you know, the old fairy tale about the cat…) from the Planet Earth made up the great group of four who battled the altitude, elements and Sierra Nevada mountains last week. We definitely did battle, but for the most part we just enjoyed a good walk in the woods with some backpacks for 7 days.




The pictures will show a couple of thoughts… but here are some clarifications:

(1) Sierra Nevada Mountains should not be called the “Sierras.” It is implied as a mountain range, hence a group of mountains. To use this word in the plural means to designate multiple ranges… incorrect and a sloppy use of Spanglish at its best.


(2) We started at 9500 ft and ended at 9000 feet. This is a “net elevation loss” of 500 feet. But we climbed three passes, averaging 11750 feet, so this was not an “easy-going downhill cruise.”

(3) Seven days denotes a week. This was a week-LONG trip. Not a “weak” one.

To conclude: We did not go on a weak, easy-going, downhill cruise in the Sierras. Ben, Loren, Dad and I discovered, through the ups and downs of granite and schist passes, amazing parts of the Sierra over the course of seven days.

Highlights include artistic expressions, wonderful meals, skinny dipping in ice-water at 11,000 feet and jolly good laughs.


I have been told by a couple of readers/ friends that they want to read emotions and feelings as opposed to facts and truisms. Please give me feedback and let me know what you think. I want to write from all sorts of angles, and frankly, I feel that maybe I am being a bit dry by replacing “real” human thoughts mere facts. But I also don’t want to waste your time… give me a quick note at: d.strich@gmail.com and tell me what you think, ‘ppreciate it!

Soon

1 comment:

DRockefeller said...

hey struple, this is cool, i'll be checking your progress, keep it going buddy!