Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2007-07-07

Beachy time

I realized that I haven't been in Southern California during the summer in the past couple of years. I keep coming back to Irvine, but it is at "off" times and my beach access is limited (by my self, or simply, me).. and with Loren in town, I have been taking advantage of having an excuse to go to Newport and Huntington more often than normal.

Oren is in town as he decides to go back East or hang out in California sun all summer. And Laura, in from Argentina, is living at her sister's in Huntington... so, we have been beaching it, needless to say. And yesterday all of this culminated with a beach excursion (see fotos) and me along with (tongue-twister) Laura, Oren and Loren. Made it easy, no?

The fourth of July came and passed as it always does... the artificiality of fireworks is wonderful, except that the people next door were cheering--- i thought that was kind of lame. Maybe I am just spoiled; the sounds of natural thunder crashes doesn't really have any comparison. Last summer I watched a lightning storm basically occur on top of my head, as I sat in awe in the Paria River Canyon in Southwest Utah... talk about a real fireworks show... BUT, I was able to enjoy a wonderful afternoon at Kellen's place (thanks dude!) and to hang out with Blake and Bonnie and crew...

In 45 minutes we (Loren, Dad, Ben and I) leave for an 8-day trek in the eastern Sierra. We are going to head to Bishop and then due west until the North Lake trailhead... we are going in a loop to the South Lake (go figure) via the Evolution Valley... this is the heart of the John Muir Trail (JMT). My dad has been talking about it for years, and finally the time has come. Loren is getting used to backpacking (now he gets to experience the other major half of California- we're not just beaches you know), Ben is psyched, Dad is ready, and I just hope that my boots don't give me the blisters they always do. I am getting pressured to help load the cars as I write this, but I wanted to get another post out while I could!

Wishing you a wonderful week... I expect the 64-miles in 7-8 days will be a challenge for each of the members of this excursion. We will each have our own ghosts with whom to reconcile and our individual physical feats to overcome. I love the outdoors and this backcountry experience... it is the raw survival of sticking together and figuring out the thoughts that haunt men, which they are normally too busy to deal with... well now, it is just us, our food and gear and the Sierra.

Soon (9 days, more or less),

No comments: