Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2009-07-16

Day 2 in Solitary Confinement

Woke up in time for the guard check. Managed to put some rags in front of the window to try to keep out the early morning light and fell back asleep. Woke up very hot, they must have turned off the air- damn humid too. I pleaded for some air and at about 11 I arose from mid-morning slumber without too much sweat seeping from my pores. I decided to make the best of a bad situation and sat in meditation. I don't know why I did it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The guard called with an update and reminded me to wash my hands... my cell has its own facilities, but rather primitive ones. I helped myself to some leftover food on my tray and proceeded to communicate with the other prisoners. Some of this was through simple messages... tapping away... almost like a text messaging. I spent some time looking out the window after that. I was so focused on being outside it almost seemed that I was flying around outside- like on a bicycle around the neighborhood with the breeze rushing through my hair...

The guard must have felt sorry for me because when I came to, there was a bag of Mos Burger waiting in the front of my cell. Was that all a dream that I was outside of my cell? I couldn't take the time to think about it because my hunger took over and I devoured the two tiny fried chicken burgers.

In my dreaming I focused on a seemingly-real guards' conversation... it was about moving cells. I thought they were talking about me, so I started to put together my few belongings. I made piles of necessary and unnecessary things. When the time comes to move, if indeed this dream-conversation holds true, I will be in haste to leave and I have to know where the most important items are. So, tomorrow, barring any abrupt beatings or interrogations, I will get the piles more organized with the exit strategy clear in mind.

I communicated with a couple of more prisoners... i wonder if the guards know that we are managing to chat. Despite the confinement, it seems pretty lax. I won't say a word, because then they'll come in with the chains again... and that was altogether unnecessary. I said I would be a good boy, after all.

No comments: