Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2008-07-04

garden that

month changes always mess up when i post. i am a faker because i only write at time intervals these days, and seeing 28 and then 4, or 5! makes me just discount the amount of time it actually has been since I posted last.

random note. The sauna is officially on. I don't think it will turn off until the end of September. There is rain sometimes and I love it when it falls because everything cools down. But I have to get accustomed to sweating all the time, again. It feels like when I first arrived, nearly a year ago. Funny to think that I have lived in Japan for a year, let alone just in one place for a year. Wow. And funny to think that my teeth hurt five months ago because it was so cold in this exact same space... and it is back to being sweat-drenched humidity and grossness again.

Our beloved gardening day got cancelled this month, so i was unable to yield the weed cutter power machine that I fell in love with. (<--- 先生、this is bad grammar because I ended with a preposition!) But I got up early this Saturday morning (bright light and routine) and decided to go for a walk. I met truckloads of men outside the apartment when I went to turn off the lights in the different stairwells. They were yielding those very machines. The man who spoke to me pointed at a "glass cutting is cancelled" sign and murmured something. Usually I understand a word or two of Japanese (that's about it) but I was unable to figure out anything he said to me. Eventually it all clicked (it WAS early in the morning) and I realized these guys were hired to take care of 2 months worth of weeding. I went for my walk and chuckled to myself. This was the thought: "My poor neighbors have no idea what is about to happen because they are all asleep." I couldn't wake them up to warn them because that defeats the purpose of sleeping late on a Saturday anyways. There was no prior warning for any of us. So, I chuckled at the irony facing me and then went for my walk... feeling relieved and very lucky that I woke up naturally and without the sounds of a dozen weed cutter machines. When it is just me, there is little noise... but this sounds like serious war preparations are going on. And yes, it is happening right now!

1 comment:

愛子 said...

hahaha dave!
i must sleep like a grizzly bear because i didn't hear a single noise. i woke up "naturally" at 1030. i heard voices outside, so i peeped through my curtains to see men in jumpers... ahh... weeding!
sorry about the sweating! stick it out for a few more weeks... then, you'll be in sunny CA!