Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2012-06-15

April 1~5: Birding at Reifle Bird Refuge in Delta, British Colmbia, Canada & work at the Olympic Peninsula

This is short post to come from the "beginning" too. Graduated at the end of March and took a week to recover before going straight to work for a month. I don't have any pictures from my day with Elane and John at Reifle but it was awesome birding. We saw lots of common birds on a gorgeous day and even some more uncommon or hidden ones. Species include: Northern Saw-whet Owl (Aegolius acadicus), Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax), Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis), Wood Duck (Aix sponsa), and plenty others. Notable events were the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) hunting some shore birds. That dance was incredible between the predator and the prey. The other cool thing was the Bald Eagle (Leucocephalus Haliaeetus) that went after a Mallard (Anus platyrhynchos) and nearly caught it. The Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) were loud about reporting it too!
 A symbolic bird picture, though taken at Semiahmoo Spit in Blaine, WA. A male Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus) which I think it just beautiful.

And then I had four days of work on the Olympic Peninsula. We spent time with the Makah Nation in and around Neah Bay and the Olympic National Park. I caught the "plague" and woke up on day two feeling like death. I spent most of the trip driving kids from place to place and sleeping whenever I could find a corner and some time. Miserable for me, but it all worked out for the school. I don't think it was the best trip I have ever been a part of, but we came back with everyone we left with, so for that the trip was successful. And I got to see a cool part of Washington that I hadn't seen before.

Looking south from the northwest corner of the United States.
 Looking west with rare sunshine on the peninsula
A gorgeous sunset actually! We had decent weather for the three days of outdoor adventure. Sooo lucky!

No comments: