Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2012-06-14

May 29~ June 2: Stehekin & North Cascades National Park

I had planned to help with the Western Spring Block final excursion... to give me more experience working with undergrads and in the field no less! It would have been even more awesome if I got paid for it, but that part is the only things that didn't work out. So I basically wasn't really needed (in terms of staffing or programming) and I was on my own- my own food, my own agenda, and my own permit. Totally awesome! Basically means that I hitched a ride to a gorgeous place and fended for myself while hanging out with cool folks in the backcountry! Pictures don't do this place justice, duh.
 A view into the Cascades from the Stehekin port. Stehekin is a town that was founded at the northern end of Lake Chelan, Washington. Based on lines drawn on paper by bureaucrats, the town because enveloped into the National Park! So it is subject to those regulations and it has its own character too... so it is a unique place. With no roads in or out (boat or hiking access only) it is truly an island in the mountains.
 This is the old Stehekin schoolhouse. A one-room for all the kids in town.
 Another angle of the schoolhouse
 The trail I hiked... five and a half miles in to (appropriately-named) "Five-Mile Camp"
 The view of Agnes Peak from Five-Mile Camp
 Then I double-backed to Bridge Creek, passing Coon Lake, pictured here. Just before this I had my first run in with a wild bear. I was by myself. The story is better in person because of the sound effects. But I heard a sawing sound on a pine tree and noticed a large critter crawling up it. Then it disappeared. I yelled out, "Hey Bear!" at which point the huge cinnamon-colored Black Bear (Ursus americanus) turned its head from behind a pine shield on the lowest branch and looked at me. Needless to say, I moved out of there and left the bear to her own devices...
A couple of days later I came across these prints while hiking with Katy and Shea towards North Fork Campground. Big ones are bear and smaller ones are deer. All of us using the same trail... :)
 Bridge Creek roars past, carving away any overhanging snow or ice during the first thrust of spring melt.
 Bridge Creek was deafening as we stood on the bridge to North Fork campground.
 Then, after 5 night out (10 for the other folks), we took the bus from the trailhead back to the port. in doing so we stopped by Rainbow Falls which is a 300-foot waterfall. Let me tell you... there was an incredible amount of water pouring down. The spray drenched trees and caused rainy conditions as one walked through the cedar stand to get a view of the mighty water. I got soaked in three minutes! Oh yeah... this map: from inside the Stehekin schoolhouse. they date back to 1916. So you can imagine the names of the places.
 Africa was labeled by color... based on which country "owned" that section!
Zoomed in on South Africa!

A blast from the past. Those maps were soooo cool. And that cultural element was a key ending to six perfect days in the backcountry. I really needed to unwind and come to terms with what is important to me... and living in a tent is always a good reminder of that! Definitely gotta go camping there again.

The weekend in between Stehekin and the road trip was spent in Mt. Vernon. A shout out to Jimmy and Codi: "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for putting up with me, in and out of your house, for the whole spring... and for letting me store some boxes with you. Good friends like you keep nutjobs like me in business!"

No comments: