Olympics at sunset in September

Olympics at sunset in September
Wedding Reception on Camano Island

2011-10-01

after Shabbat

I had planned not to post tonight, but felt inspired by the sunset:
Inspired by going to the farmer's market this afternoon also. I will still celebrate summer, despite its being so cold nowadays, so long as I can still buy raspberries, melons and basil! So, I bought some small heirloom tomatoes to boot and a package of fresh mozzarella... and did a Caprese salad for the first time in years. It had black pepper but it wasn't the fresh cracked kind. The sea salt from Yakushima hopefully made up the difference in taste. And combining this Italian delicacy with a pot of hot green tea with roasted rice, I was able to combine my favorite cuisines.


From the other night... it was a 6-pound (LOCAL & REAL) chicken (in brine for 24 hours) roasted with onions and garlic and carrots. I have to reconsider how I did the carrots... I suppose they would be better steamed next time, but the juice from the whole process is outstanding if I say so myself:


I also roasted some potatoes in olive oil and thyme so as to use the oven's energy for multiple uses.


The finished product, tasted better than pictures or words describe. Now I have chicken for days! Slightly problematic in that today I bought Coho salmon to cook for this week... but I will just have to work out a little more so that I can eat a little more!




I spent the morning at the Temple. I went to the Torah study and then participated in the Shabbat meditation service. It was nice. I don't know if I'll make it every week, but it was a nice reminder back into Judaism... American-style. It only took me an hour and 10 minutes to walk there. I think the total was 3.5 miles. It was nice to know that I can WALK across down and that it really doesn't take that long!

And to end this post, I will say that I did something naughty today. I will post a picture of it tomorrow. It's red, and I owe Mr. Mikula a shout-out (I already took him out to lunch) for saving it for me while I was busy this morning so that I could swoop in and buy it!

No comments: